To reduce movements and contacts in the cabin, with our passengers' safety as a priority, we have set maximum limits for cabin baggage to be transported on board. You should limit your cabin baggage to the essentials, and to volumes that can be handled only by you.
When the cabin volume limit is reached, your carry-on baggage may have to be carried in the aircraft's hold free of charge. In this case, you must make sure to have your travel documents and essential documents with you.
Passengers traveling without cabin baggage will have priority boarding.
All carry-on baggage must be shown at the time of check-in for proper labeling.
|Number of bags||Dimensions||Weight in Kg (pounds)|
|Economy Class||1||55x40x20cms||8 Kg (17 lbs)|
|Business Class||1||55x40x20cms||15 Kg* (33 lbs)|
* Azores Airlines’ passengers traveling in business class can carry up to 13kg on SATA Air Açores connections.
Charter flights may have different rules.
Free hand baggage items
In addition to the carry-on baggage allowance, passengers may carry the following items free of charge:
- One overcoat, a coat or one blanket;
- One umbrella or cane;
- One photo or film camera of small dimensions and/or one pair of binoculars;
- Books and magazines in a reasonable amount to read during the flight;
- One diplomatic handbag type or a bag with one laptop;
- One lady small handbag, a wallet or a purse with appropriate dimensions for the flight and without articles that may be considered as baggage;
- One garment bag that does not exceed the weight of 4 kg/ 8 Lbs ;
- *Passengers traveling with babies: one portable crib, food and clothes to be worn during the flight;
- *Incapacitated passengers or passengers with reduced mobility: one pair of crutches, prosthetic devices or other articles considered indispensable for their locomotion (for wheelchair transportation, please verify the available information in “checked baggage”);
- *Deaf or blind passengers (partial or total): a guide dog traveling with passengers since a pre booking has been done and confirmed.
Carry-on baggage requirements for flights departing from the USA
Due to new procedures related to carry-on baggage introduced in the USA through the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) "One Plus One" program, please take into consideration the following information.
Limited to one carry-on bag plus one personal item (such as a purse, briefcase, or laptop) per passenger except for:
- Medical assistance items (such as crutches and wheelchairs)
- Musical instruments;
- One bag with photographic equipment;
- Duty-free items;
- Passengers traveling with babies: 1 volume in total allowed per passenger and baby;
- Passengers traveling with pets: it is not allowed to transport any volume beside the container with the pet
- Crutches may be transported in the cabin or in the hold;
- Baby stroller/basket and a baby chair will always be accepted as checked baggage and will not be included in the free baggage allowance. These items are loaded last, in order to be delivered quickly at the destination;
- The guide dog shall be transported free of charge, in the cabin or in the hold. If accepted in the cabin, the dog can’t occupy a seat.
We recommend the transportation of the following items as carry-on baggage:
- Identification documents;
- Mobile phones (previously turned off);
- Money, checks, credit cards, credit documents, bonds and other securities;
- Commercial samples;
- Fragile or perishable items.
Check Security Rules for carry-on liquids and Prohibited items on board.
Items you should avoid transporting in your carry-on baggage (once they must be turned off)
- Radio devices;
- Remote-control toys;
- CRT monitors;
- Wireless computer equipment (mouse);
- CD and mini-disk players;
- Stereo equipment;
- Pocket radios (AM/FM);
- TV receivers;
- Bluetooth technology.
Musical instruments may be accepted as carry-on baggage, as long as they do not exceed the stipulated dimensions (55x40x20cm / total 115cm (45 inches)) and weight (8kg/17lb).
If these dimensions are exceeded, musical instruments will have to be transported in the hold, properly packaged in a hard-shell case for appropriate protection, or transported in the cabin by acquiring an extra seat.
You must inform the type of instrument, weight and dimensions when booking, which will be subject to further confirmation.
New security rules have been established at European Union airports to protect passengers from the new threat of liquid explosives.
Passengers may not bring liquids (beverages in general, soups, gels, lotions, perfumes, aerosols, etc.) as carry-ons in containers larger than 100 millilitres (maximum of 1 litre total). These containers must be enclosed in an easily sealable, 19 cm x 20 cm transparent plastic bag.
- Liquids purchased at stores beyond the airport’s screening checkpoint, or purchased on board the aircraft;
- Liquids for medical purposes, including a medical prescription and proof of authenticity of the exempt liquid;
- Liquids for special dietary needs, with doctor’s certificate;
- Baby food.
Upon request, passengers must prove authenticity by means of a medical prescription or by tasting/skin testing.
To transport liquid medicines in carry-on luggage, passengers must print out and complete an Authorization Form for Restricted Carry-On Items. This must be sent to ANAC/FALSEC with its corresponding medical documentation.
ANAC/FALSEC will evaluate the request and approve or reject the exemption. Approved exemptions will be issued an authorization letter, valid for two years, which passengers must have in their possession whenever travelling.
Prior to receiving this authorization letter, passengers must carry a doctor’s certificate (confirming the need to use the medicine), which may be requested by security agents at screening checkpoints.