From July 1, a new tax will be applied to passengers traveling on flights departing from Portugal, recognizing the commitment to have a cleaner environment and a more ecological aviation sector.
This government tax designated Carbon Tax, approved by the State Budget Law for 2021 and created by Ordinance no. 38/2021 of February 16, aims to offset carbon emissions and thus contribute to a more environmentally sustainable society.
Amount and application conditions:
- The tax has a fixed value of €2 (two euros) for each passenger, being charged at the time of ticket issuance.
- This tax does not apply to children under two years of age, nor in air transport between the Autonomous Regions of the Azores and Madeira, between these regions and mainland Portugal, and within the respective Autonomous Regions.
- In non-refundable fares, the carbon tax is not refundable.
- In case of ticket changes, it is not required to charge the passenger a new carbon tax, regardless of the number of changes made, as long as the route does not demand it.
- For more information, please refer to Ordinance no. 38/2021 of February 16.